Using the Visualizer with Visual Studio Pro or only Team Explorer

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:27 PM

We have SW professionals doing requirements analysis, acceptance testing and project management who work a lot with work items, but don't need (or get) the more expensive versions of Visual Studio. They do have access to Pro, but really only need Team EXplorer.

Is it just a manifest change or will Visualizer not work with work items if just Pro or only Team Explorer is installed? 

Thanks, Bob Hardister (VS ALM MVP)

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I'm not sure if i understand the question correctly.

The visualization tool requires that the object model is installed so you just need to install Team Explorer.

However that will only work for generating the file, since DGML file viewing requires that you have at least VS 2010 Premium edition installed.

Summoning it up, you just need Team Explorer installed to generate the files, but you will need at least Premium to view the visualization results.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Tiago,

What I have seen is that the VSIX manifest is such that it won't install unless you have VS Premium or Ultimate.  This is fine unless there is a stand alone DGML viewer available, which I think there isn't.

Anyone, please let me know if you know about a stand-alone DGML viewer that can be downloaded.

Thanks, Bob

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM

What manifest? The visualization tool runs outside Visual Studio, it has no VSIX installation.

Or are you referring to this? http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/a35b6010-750b-47f6-a7a5-41f0fa7294d2 if yes, this VS addin was written by a different persons and it is not affiliated with his project in particular (they have ripped up the source code and packaged it without attribution but that is another story)

There is no standalone DGML viewer. To see DGML you need to have premium or ultimate.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:27 PM

OK. I thought this was the same tool. The one I'm referring to in the VS Addin. Sorry for bother.

Coordinator
Mar 18, 2011 at 1:11 AM

no bother.